Wednesday 20 December 2017

French Gendarmes 1513


I wanted a couple of units of Gendarmes for my 1513 French after much cyber poking about I went for Essex.  Some Essex figures leave me cold but not their Gendarmes which I consider are all you could ask.  They are dear nowadays but for these particular figures I didn’t mind at all.  



Anyhow I bought two packs so I have eight figures.  That could be just one unit of six figures for Lion Rampant but there are other options.  A 'Lance' of Gendarmes consisted of supporting Archers and Coustillers as well as the top boys. So, I could field four Gendarmes with an Archer and a Coustiller as a unit. Or even a one third of each line up which would provide three units.  That would be a fun if not neccesarily battle winning line up.  I'd need some Stradiots to balance that out- the Mirliton ones appeal most to me.

I decided to try a more ambitious paint job with damask barding which required a bit of fore thought before dipping the brush.  I have also located some French banners which I think lift things too.  



I’ve gone for two main colours red and blue with the white cross of St Dennis as a unifying theme along with Valois colours red white and yellow.


Here are the first two in red and a Banner man for the archers.  The latter is a Black Hat figure conversion on a Minifigs horse.



Here are two Gendarmes in blue.  



Last but not least here are some Border Horse looking suitably grim and light fingered.  I think they would benefit from the addition of either a St George's or a St Andrew's cross painted on their Jacks-but, I want to use them for both English and Scots retinues so plain they remain.  




I will get around to producing a distinctive Heid Man for both sides. The lad with the crossbow is from the 15mm Co, one pose only sadly. 



The figures are mostly QRF with Milliput shields added.

3 comments:

  1. That’s good, detailed work in 15mm. I am not much of an Essex fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan, I'm pleased with how they came out. Yeah Essex are a bit hit and miss for me, but when they are good they take some beating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice conversions for a time period that's very close to my heart, well done. The only thing that spoils the look is the poor quality scans used for the flags. Email me on petesflags@yahoo.com and I'll put deal together for the French. Cheers Pete

    ReplyDelete