Monday 21 November 2016

Better Late Than Never

About 7 years ago there was a flurry of excitement among C19th Wargamers as the Carlist War hove into view in the form of some excellent figures from the Perry Brothers and a first class supporting book from Conrad Cairns.

In my time, I’ve thrilled at the sight of the Rias of Galicia, poured Cider libations in Asturias and delighted in the Basque country but it was all 28mm and so it passed me by.  Until now that is.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed QRF had produced some 15mm figures for the First Carlist War.  I enquired about the new range and Chas told me

 “We intend to have the Cristino command – and flank Companies, in production within a fortnight.  These will be followed by Carlist infantry.  The intention is to have a range similar to the old 28mm rang that we used to make some years ago, so we will be doing French and British Legions, plus cavalry and artillery and possibly the Portuguese too.”

As a 15mm gamer you could not ask for more and I know from experience QRF always deliver so no fear of half completed armies. I ordered some figures and you can see some of them here.



I also bought the Cairns book from the Perry’s-great service and a fair price. The book is just what’s needed for anyone coming new to the period.


I also had a poke about the Bits Box and assembled enough figures (Black Hat) to make up three Cristino battalions.  You can see one of Cazadores here.


Finally, I ordered some British from ERM for the Irish Brigade of the British Auxiliary Legion. You can see one unit of them here.




The flags shown are all from Steve at http://balagan.info/wargaming-flags-for-the-first-carlist-war who kindly makes them freely available.

All in all, a good start I think.



4 comments:

  1. Excellent! I've always fancied the Carlist War myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah its good news for those of us who favour 15mm. The short term release schedule is more infantry for both sides and then cavalry ditto. I'm looking forward to succumbing to "Lanzia mania". I reckon 12 units a side for starters would give a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look superb, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Phil. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the range.

    ReplyDelete