Saturday 2 December 2017

Something Tangible-Conversions


This is my first unit for 1513.  Those with an eye for heraldry will notice that it is Algernon Percy with his men.  As you can see they are a well- equipped bunch with lots of armour.  The Percy flags are from an uncredited source on the internet, possibly from an old book on heraldry.  I think they are splendid, the colours are just right for Algernon’s livery.  Note how well the crescents stand out-a favourite Percy device.



Most of the company are conversions wearing Tudor Livery colours but I wanted the Percy influence to shine through and I think it does.



Almost all of the conversions were accomplished with Milliput.  The upside is you can file edges to a crisp finish or file in the creases and folds you want.  The down side is that it’s slow progress. With some of them I finished the work off with Green Stuff a very different medium indeed.  You cannot file it so get the amount right first time.  Since I'd used Milliput I thought I'd say a bit about the process despite my recent embrace of Green Stuff. 

I did it like this should you be minded to have a go .

Tear off two same-ish size amounts of both colours.

Roll them into two separate balls and set aside.

Tear off a similar amount from each ball and roll them together – thoroughly!

This ball is now a working medium.  Let it stand for 10 minutes-it makes it easier to work.

Now look at what you want to do and tear off the amount needed to do the job. I found little sausage shapes worked well.  Press it onto the figure and with soft controlled motions shape it as required.  Clay or wax modelling tools are great for this.  Once you are happy set it aside.  I found it handy to work on about 6 figures at once.

Do not try and do the whole figure in one go as you’ll dislodge your earlier work. Let it dry overnight and begin again the next day.

Should you want to add belts or straps roll out a thin sausage of Milliput and place it on the figure.  Then gently pat it to flatten against the figure.  If you want a buckle or horse brasses roll a small ball, press in place, flatten and using a point indent it.

Once you have finished and let everything dry throughout you can gently file edges and add folds etc.

That's it. You’ll need to undercoat the dry Milliput before painting your converted figure.





2 comments:

  1. Very nice, I really need to finish my Flodden forces, its been a few years since I even looked at them! Check out my blog for Flodden flags, if you haven't before???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased to say I have two armies carrying those very same flags and very nice they are too.

    ReplyDelete