Saturday 25 November 2017

Conversions

There are skilled, clever folk who when stuck for a suitable figure laugh at unfulfilled want, wave off despair and instead reach for the Green Stuff or Milliput.  After a suitable interval the figure they wanted is in front of them. 

They walk among us and I’ve always been impressed.  Some of them have blogs, very inspiring blogs.  Your correspondent has just spent a number of hours gawking at a particularly fine example of the genre.  You can see it here and it’s full of top tips and lovely work.  There are also some Anglo-French 1513 stats for Lion Rampant which greatly appealed to me.

https://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/

Ideas were conjured out of the ether, like teatime at Dr John Dee’s.  

They look very nice! I do Tudor stuff. I wonder if I could do something in 15mm like that?

I did a bit of research.  Apparently, those in the know favour Green Stuff above Milliput- but the latter is better for filling.  I own some Milliput and ordered some Green Stuff.  I also own some figures suitable for Henry Tudor’s Royal Army but they don’t have the big woolly coats that led to “White Coats” becoming a popular term for English soldiers.

The big woolly coats were quite stiff so none of the pleat on pleat stuff that might be over challenging. In design they are simple square yoked, elbow length full sleeves and a full knee length skirt.  This is encouraging.  I wanted Tudor toys with big woolly coats and it was beginning to look possible.

So, I had a go.  Everything said about the medium being difficult is true.  Patience is key.  Also, you have to do a bit at a time and leave it overnight.  On the plus side you quickly get better at it.  I should add, I found it strangely compelling almost addictive.  Who knew?

Tomorrow is day three of this experiment.  I’m hoping to be able to show you the finished article next week in the form of a base or two of big woolly coated Bill men.  Meantime I'm eyeing up some old and unlovely Essex Irish cavalry and thinking Stradiots or Coustilliers?

No comments:

Post a Comment